Behavioral Interview is the kind of interview of which the goal is to identify whether the candidates have suitable skills for the job. In such an interview, the interviewers shall not ask what you will do, but instead, what you did. They want to know how you handled certain circumstances that you have experienced in the past and based on your answer, they will evaluate how well you handle such circumstances in the future.
STAR is short for a procedure, in which:
• S = Situation: describe the situation.
• T = Task: identify the goals you wish to achieve.
• A = Action: determine the action you should perform to reach such goals.
• R = Result: what is the result you expect?
Behavioral interview tips :
1. Have you prepared carefully before a Behavioral Interview. Read the job description carefully and your profile as well. Identify which qualifications, abilities or skills of yours should be most suitable to the job.
2. Prepare a list of questions that may be asked in a Behavioral Interview after considering job description. Also, prepare answers to such questions.
3. The interviewer may want to know about your behavior in certain situations (guess which situations it may be) or your past experience in working which may influence on the performance of current job. Emphasize on your abilities or skills which help you resolve problems in the past or help improve your performance.
4. Be coherent in your stories. Begin with a brief introduction to the problem. Then, talk about your action, and the result of your action. Finally, summarize your approach and solution.
5. The interviewer may wish to debate on certain problems during your working experience. It is because he or she is seeking your abilities to perform the duties for which they are recruiting. He or she wants to know how you take over a new challenge and how you can resolve new problems.
6. Answer as sincerely as possible. Don‘t lie as if you are discovered, it shall be very a very bad situation.
7. There may be some argumentative questions. And to deal with them, firstly, you have to stay calm and think of them carefully. Make your points clearly and confidently. Don‘t be much worried about lose. The point here is that you are confident with your approaches.
8. The interviewer doesn‘t expect you can handle every situation. If he or she raises one which you were unable to resolve, explain its result and why you couldn‘t deal with it. Tell him or her which you have learn from such failure.
9. Remembering everything at moment of the interviewer asking the questions is nearly impossible. So, the most important tip is that you have get yourself prepared carefully before the Behavioral Interview.